Sunday, September 16, 2018

Glad in the House of the Lord

Ps 122:1 I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD!" 

We should be very happy to go to the house of the Lord, which is to say the public assemblies of our church. And we should be happy when encouraged to do so.

The psalmist was. 

So many reasons for this, but here are just a few.

1. Jesus is there. Matt 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.

2. He wants us there. Song of Solomon 2:14 O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the crannies of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely. 

3. We have been made acceptable to be there (which cost Jesus his life and torment on the cross). 1 Peter 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 


4. He intends to bless us while we are there. Psalm 36:8 They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights

5. There is no better place to be in the world. Psalm 84: 10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. 

6. Our brothers and sisters, who we are to love with our very lives, will be there. Psalm 116:12 What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? 13 I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, 14 I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people

7. We get to praise and thank God for all that he has done for us. 1 Peter 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ

8. We enter the holiest place every time we assemble and for as long as we are assembled - a very rare privilege. Heb 10:19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Law of the Kingdom of God is Love (Part 2)

Part 2 of this short series on the Kingdom of God is in audio form only. You can listen to the message by going to the link below. The L...