Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Law of God Gives Believers Direction

It's a blessing for believers to walk in the law of the Lord. Ps 119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! 2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, 3 who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways! 

We are not saved by obeying the law, but by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ alone. Acts 16:30 Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."  

Go HERE for more on forgiveness by faith alone in Christ alone.

But once we're saved by faith alone in Christ alone, we are called to walk in the law of the Lord. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15)


The law of God is a blessing to us because it gives us direction. Paul asked and answered, "What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet." (Romans 7:7) It informed Paul that coveting was sin and what loving behavior is (i.e. not to covet your neighbor's things). 

The law of God does not do many things. It does not give us the motivation to obey. (That comes by looking at Jesus, his attributes and his works - Heb 12:1-2)  It does not give us the grace to obey (as that comes from the Father - Matt 7:7-10). It also does not give us the power to obey (as that comes from the Holy Spirit dwelling in us - John 6:63). 

What the law does do is give us DIRECTION. It tells us what to do to love God and what to do to love our neighbor.  1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome

Psalm 119:9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. 10 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! ...24 Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors...104 Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. 

Because of this, the Psalmist loved the law of God. Psalm 119:97 Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. 98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. 

Once we're saved by faith alone in Christ alone, our calling is to walk in the law of the Lord - to obey him by grace. John 14:15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. The law helps us to do this only by teaching us what it is we are supposed to do. 

As Christians, we can be very busy doing many things - but not necessarily the things we are called to do in God's word. The law helps guide our actions into the path of his will.  Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 

We should look to the law then, not for motivation, not for power, not for grace, but for direction, so that we can know with certainty how we ought to live. 

What a blessing the law of God is, once we understand it's role properly - to make us wise in the way of Christ, to inform us how to love God and our neighbor. 

May God give us grace to walk in the law of the Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Law of the Kingdom of God is Love (Part 2)

Part 2 of this short series on the Kingdom of God is in audio form only. You can listen to the message by going to the link below. The L...